Meeting Report for 2/17/2010


For the (likely) penultimate meeting of this instance of the Squeak Oversight Board everyone other than Jecel Mattos de Assumpção was present:  Ken Causey, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta, Andreas Raab, Randal Schwartz, and Igor Stasenko.  Keep your eyes peeled on squeak-dev for announcements related to the upcoming Oversight Board Election.

Our discussions with the Software Freedom Conservancy continues and progress is occurring, if slowly at times.  Right now we are clarifying the exact wording regarding the licensing of the 4.0 release.  Squeak was originally released under a license written by Apple that we refer to as the Squeak License.

In 2006 Apple agreed to relicense the final release of Squeak from Apple (1.1) under the Apple Public Source License.  After further thoughts and discussions this was decided to be a less than optimal choice and Apple agreed to relicense the release, this time under the Apache License.

Since that time work has been going on to solicit agreement from Squeak contributors to relicense all subsequent contributions under the MIT License.  The result now is that parts of the image that are clearly descendants from the 1.1 release are under the Apache License and more recent contributions are under the MIT License.  These two licenses are compatible.

The question is whether we can simply say ‘MIT License’ or have to say something like ‘parts under the Apache License with the remainder under the MIT License’.  We are awaiting guidance from SFC on this issue.  Once we sort that out we will be announcing the intent to officially release a version under the new licensing conditions as widely as possible with the goal of ensuring that all contributors to Squeak are aware of the change.

We spent most of the rest of the meeting discussing trunk work and the possibility of an imminent release.  We are currently thinking of a release in about 2 months if everything goes smoothly.   Expect email from Andreas on squeak-dev soon discussing what needs to be done and soliciting opinions and assistance.

Our next meeting is scheduled for March 3rd, 2010.

One Response to “Meeting Report for 2/17/2010”

  1. Object Commando » Squeak Going 100% Open Source Says:

    […] for Squeak developers. It looks like they are in the final throws of converting all code to the MIT or the Apache license. They still need an official release before the conversion is complete, but it looks like […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: