Author Archive

minutes 2013-03-04

March 8, 2013

Squeak board minutes 4 March 2013

present: all (Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta, Eliot Miranda, Chris Muller, Colin Putney, Tim Rowledge, Frank Shearar)

closed items:

+ Eliot and Colin met up in person last week, discussed technical stuff: building from core imageenvironments, file system, atomic reshape/reorg, fast reshape, parcel format, “quasi-quotes”. We discussed the quasi-quotes proposal, agreed that it’s worth trying out (e.g., for making HTML-generation code more readable). Eliot will continue to seek feedback from others with similar projects, e.g., Helvetia.

+ Chris Cunnington has agreed to take over as webteam leader.

+ Scheduled future open community meetings, on the no-board-meeting Mondays. Lots of things we could do together with that time, like occasional tutorials (e.g., quasi-quotes, Spoon). Craig tried out the Hangouts On Air feature of YouTube. It records Google Hangout sessions and makes them available quickly on YouTube. It seems to work, and could be useful for recording the community meetings. Interested folks could edit the sessions into something more concise for a mass audience. The next community meeting event is posted on a public Google Calendar, available via HTML and iCal

+ Now that we all have Immersive Terf accounts, we’ll try that for the next board meeting. This is an OpenQwaq instance hosted by 3DICC.

open items:

– discussion of Spoon by Frank and Craig

– updates to the Teams and Board pages on the Squeak website.

– voter list publication (Bert, Ron)

– Squeak badges and GSOC funds

– new SqueakSource server

– GSOC 2013 initiatives

Advertisements

minutes 2013-02-18

February 19, 2013

Squeak board minutes 2013-02-18

first meeting of term, all incoming and outgoing members invited.

present: Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta, Chris Muller, Colin Putney, Tim Rowledge, Frank Shearer (all incoming, Tim and Frank are new)

absent: Chris Cunnington, Eliot Miranda, Randal Schwartz, Levente Uzonyi (Eliot is new, others are outgoing. Chris, Randal, and Levente mentioned they couldn’t make it, Eliot was on holiday)

closed items:

+ Decided to keep using Google Hangouts for now, although the group is willing to try Immersive Terf once, to see if its Mac audio support has improved.

+ Moved future meetings to 1st and 3rd Mondays at 7pm Amsterdam time (old schedule was 1st and 3rd Mondays at noon Los Angeles time). Frank set up a shared Google Calendar.

+ Bert updated the new-board-member info package.

+ Craig added new members to the board mailing list, Bert invited new members to edit the WordPress blog.

open items:

– Agreed we’d like to make the voter list public, allowing for individuals to opt out. It’s part of an effort to get voters to declare their connection with the project. Also, some of us are just curious who the voters are. Bert will ping the community and Ron Teitelbaum about this.

– Money. SFC is paying the Hetzner hosting bill on our behalf with the money they hold for us. Discussion of Squeak badges. Tim wonders about prior distribution numbers. Craig has the remainder, will count them. Bert pinged Giovanni about GSOC 2007 funds transfer.

– The webteam. Chris Cunnington said previously Janko has no time for this anymore, Colin had no luck reaching Janko. Colin suggests Chris Cunnington as new leader, will contact him. Colin will also ask Chris C. the status of the new website.

– SqueakSource. We’d like to replicate Berne’s SqueakSource server. We want to at least preserve the projects that are there now, and we would take control of the squeaksource.com domain name. Bert will continue to coordinate communication. Chris will review and debug the squeaksource code, and consider adding a Magma backend. Berne contacts: Oscar Nierstrasz and Fabrizio Perin.

– Google Summer of Code 2013. We’d like get some more Squeak projects started/accepted. Would Eliot like more people working on the project he proposed last year?

Board meeting 2011-03-15

March 15, 2011

A today’s meeting we discussed changing hosting providers for Squeak.ORG, to one which includes backup service. Randal is setting up a new box for this.

Preliminary Agenda for 4/7/2010

March 31, 2010

4.1 release issues

finances

SFC status

board mailing list

Meeting Report for 3/24/2010

March 31, 2010

To start the new term, we had a transition meeting with all the previous and current Squeak Oversight Board members. Attending were outgoing members Ken Causey and Igor Stasenko, new members Chris Muller and Juan Vuletich, and continuing members Jecel Mattos de Assumpção Jr, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta, Andreas Raab, and Randal Schwartz. The new and continuing members introduced themselves.

Outgoing members Ken and Igor handed off a few tasks. From Ken, posting meeting notes to the blog went to the rest of the group in turns; blog comment moderation went to Chris; SFC correspondence and free server hosting coordination went to Randal. From Igor, ESUG correspondence went to Andreas.

Jecel wrote to the Software Freedom Conservancy to tell them of the recent Squeak 4.0 release, the major prerequisite for our joining the Conservancy.

Andreas mentioned a few agenda items for the next meeting: the 4.1 release, consolidating finances, and receiving messages to the board mailing list with a minimum of spam (in addition to a recaptcha-assisted mechanism from the squeak website).

Thanks Ken and Igor for all your help!