Archive for the ‘Meetings’ Category

Meeting Report for January 18th, 2011

January 19, 2011

Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan and Randal were present at this week’s Squeak board meeting.

Jecel was experiencing network-bandwidth issues for part of the meeting, and so Skype-chat was suggested as a backup alternative for future board meetings.

4.2 is still scheduled for release sometime during the week of January 31st, 2011. Then, the trunk will be reopened for new features again.

It will soon be time for the annual Squeak board election. Bert suggested we manually create a definitive list of the registered voters for the 2011 election. Randal is taking that up.

The SqueakMap server package in the source repository is not the code currently being run by the production SqueakMap server. Chris is fixing that issue.

Advertisements

Meeting Report for December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

The last meeting of the year had Chris, Craig, Bert, Jecel and Juan present.

Our focus was the 4.2 release, with an initial discussion about the “Welcome to Squeak” projects. The actual steps in the release process were quickly reviewed and Matthew Fulmer was consulted (on the Open Cobalt chat in Skype) about the effect of a release of the current state of Trunk on his ongoing effort to merge Cobalt changes back into Squeak.

At the end there was a quick chat about the status of the various projects that the board members are working on, and a general feeling that 2010 was a good year for Squeak and for Smalltalk in general.

Meeting Report for 12/7/2010

December 11, 2010

Today we had Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan, and Randal.

We talked about the upcoming 4.2 release: in particular, whether to include non-Trunk packages or not. Although we’d like to give newcomers a complete experience, we feel that having packages in the release that are not in Trunk seems unwise. Ideally, we would release multiple images, but with our limited resources, someone else would have to step up to make them.

The most likely result for 4.2 will be a single image, but we’d like to make finding and loading additional features easier. Some ideas discussed include having an obvious open workspace in the main world, or having multiple projects (such as in the early Squeak releases). Jecel wrote this idea up here.

Meeting Reports for October and November 2010

November 30, 2010

We met as usual on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays but failed to write up reports, sorry. Discussion mainly concerned the 4.2 release.

Meeting Report for 10/5/2010

October 9, 2010

A discussion about the 4.2 release of Squeak occurred at last week’s board meeting. Andreas, Bert, Chris, Jecel and Juan were present.

The target release date for 4.2 is the first-week of December, 2010. This coincides with the boards desire to export a new release every six months as well as the need for the many accumulated enhancements applied to the image since 4.1 to be packaged and distributed to a wider audience. 4.2 is also expected to include the new Cog VM.

A wiki page has been created that identifies some of the tasks targeted for the 4.2 release, and will be kept even beyond 4.2 for the record:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6160

If anyone has specific plans for contributing to 4.2, please feel free to share them on the wiki page or squeak-dev mailing list, so the precise shape of 4.2 will begin to coalesce.

Meeting Report for 9/15/2010

September 21, 2010

With ESUG going on (Bert’s Squeak presentation was yesterday), we had a fairly short and quiet meeting today. Andreas, Craig Chris, Jecel and Randal were present, we started our discussion trying to find a better spot for our regular meetings as several of us had problems with the Wednesday spot. It looks like we’ve settled on the first and third Tuesday each month (starting next week) at 8am pacific. We continued the discussion of the transfer of outstanding funds to the SFC but haven’t made much progress yet. Lastly, we discussed the current state of integration of Cog and will be trying to push the integration forward a little more to see if we can help merging the main VMMaker and the Cog branch relatively soon. And that was about it.

Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

August 20, 2010

Almost full house today. Only Chris was missing because he is on vacation. We had a good meeting and discussed many issues.

Money transfers to SFC. Andreas has been extremely busy at work, but will be able to pick it up again now.

Squeak 4.2 release: Date and Scope. Setting up the infrastructure for Community Supported Packages and start picking them. We currently don’t have an active Release Team. If somebody steps up to work on this, we can start planning. Please volunteer!

Documentation. The community has previously shown interest in having a Documentation Team, so Jecel will post to squeak-dev to check up on the current volunteers and seek out new ones.

Randal suggested doing a wide survey on usage of Squeak and Squeak derivatives to help in planning and decision making. This would include Pharo, Etoys, Cobalt, Scratch, Cuis and others. We’d need input from groups and organizations that are not members of the squeak-dev list. Therefore we need to approach members of those groups and organizations for coordination. We’ll also need cooperation from everybody to get all users of Squeak and derivatives to be aware of this effort, and to consider answering the survey. Randal will start contacting some of these groups for coordinating.

Bert will attend to Esug 2010 partly on behalf of the Squeak Board as a Squeak PR activity. We decided to financially support his trip.

Andreas and Juan would like to find a way to leverage the work done to reduce Cuis for Squeak. Ideally, Squeak would become a smaller kernel, about the size of Cuis, and everything else would be in optional packages that would be unloadable. Comments, suggestions, volunteers, are all welcome!

Meeting Report for 7/21/2010

July 21, 2010

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s summer! People are on vacation and consequently Craig (on vacation in Europe) wasn’t present in our meeting and Bert joined us from his hotel room and shared a view of the beach with us.

There wasn’t too much to talk about. We discussed a bit the SFC status and noted that we need to make some progress with the reconciliation of our finances. We’re still waiting for some info from the SFC on how to best address this issue and will ping them again as a reminder. Andreas brought up the issue of providing a Squeak image with Seaside preloaded and the board agrees that we should provide such an image on http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside.

We raised a couple of other issues in the discussion, including what a useful scope for 4.2 might be, how to make progress with community supported packages, and how to continue the discussion about documentation, but no specific action items resulted from these.

As a result we finished our meeting early. But hey, it’s summer!

Meeting report for 6/16/2010

June 16, 2010

Andreas, Bert, Craig, Chris, Jecel , Juan and Randal participated in this week’s meeting.

As part of joining the SFC, we discussed the several funds currently associated with the Squeak project and how these should be transferred to the new account.

The exact way of announcing the final joining of the SFC was discussed and Andreas will write a short press release and send it to them for approval before publishing. Obviously, this post is an informal announcement of that event.

The discussion on the squeak-dev list about using the Mediawiki as a part of the documentation effort was evaluated.

Meeting Report for 5/5/2010

May 6, 2010

A productive meeting of the Squeak Oversight Board commenced promptly on-schedule. Randal and Juan were absent due to weather.

Resuming with the boards top-priority of the last few months, the meeting opened with a discussion of final minutiae required for Squeak’s official membership in the Software Freedom Conservancy.  Since the last meeting, board members had reviewed the final-draft document borne by several iterations between Jecel and Karen at the SFC.  Andreas was pleased by the clarity of the language in the document and the overall consensus of the board was that this artifact is complete and ready for official execution.

On a related topic, the board discussed its interest in understanding the compatibility of the Creative Commons license used by the majority of graphic-artists for their creations.  The board acknowledged that visual-appeal can have dramatic affect on new-user perceptions and, therefore, adoption.  However, given the complexity of the CC license it was decided that Jecel would consult the expertise of the SFC for advice in this matter.

Mark your calendars!  The annual, 2010 ESUG conference will commence in Barcelona, Spain, this September.  The board decided, particularly in light of what happened last year with respect to Squeak absence, that a presence at this year’s conference is useful. Bert, being the geographically closest board member to the conference, volunteered his intention to attend and present for Squeak at the conference.  Thank you Bert!

Bert also reported that Squeakland, the organization concerned with the Etoys project, at a recent board meeting decided to also try joining the SFC, instead of incorporating on their own.

Another important channel for Squeak’s interface with the world are its supporting web-sites.  Chris complained during the meeting that the “download” page of squeak.org was unnecessarily “intimidating” to new users; that some of the newer automated packaging (at least, for Windows) may have rendered this language less necessary.  In response, the other board members nominated Chris to fill, what was formerly Igor’s role as board contact for web-content related issues.  Thank you, Chris.

On the topic of being beginner-friendly, Bert noted that he liked the ProfStef tutorial available in Pharo.  We think that, or a similar tutorial might be nice to have in Squeak, too. Chris noted that Maui might be nice for that. And it would be better if it was integrated into the HelpBrowser, as Andreas remarked. Too many scattered tools make it harder to discover “the good stuff”.

For the next meeting, the board will look to Randal regarding employing recaptcha to aid in spam management, as well as a review of to-do items from 2009.